In recent years, wildfires have become a tremendous threat to the well-being of our communities and ecosystems. This type of natural disaster poses a threat to individual and community health and safety, destroys wildlife habitats, threatens animal survival, and releases carbon dioxide into the atmosphere. Furthermore, wildfires can have immediate and long-term effects on water quality in lakes and rivers, pollute the soil and remaining vegetation, and destroys wildlife resources. The environmental, societal, and economic impact can last for decades.

In my NURS 3830: Health 6: Promoting Health course, one of our assignments was to complete a disaster preparedness scenario and reflect upon our experience. The purpose of this assignment was to develop a greater understanding of disaster response and preparedness by completing an online disaster simulation and then writing a reflective essay.

Through this assignment, I developed a greater understanding on the importance of preventative measures to reduce the risk of wildfires. Similarly, I learned about the logistics of implementing these measures. Please find a copy of my disaster assignment below for you to peruse.